They are hanging all over the apartment and waiting to be used: charging cables that are plugged into the socket. But that’s not a good idea.
Dortmund – Who doesn’t know? After the smartphone, tablet or laptop is fully charged, we disconnect the device, but the charging cable remains in the socket. But that can actually be dangerous.
The charging cable is always connected to the socket: however, this harbors two dangers
Many consumers probably won’t even realize that they make a sometimes dangerous mistake every day. Because in many homes, the charging cable should have taken a permanent place in the socket and rarely leave it again.
However, this presents two dangers: electricity actually flows when no device is connected, which means power is also consumed. Also, the risk of fire may increase if the charger is always plugged into the power outlet.
The charging cable is plugged into the socket – there are costs even without a smartphone
Even if no device is charged with the charging cable, energy costs still arise. because like Approach explains, there is a transformer in the charger that always works as soon as the cable is plugged into the outlet.
The transformer regulates the voltage from 230 volts to the required level. For smartphones, that would be around five volts. If the transformer runs constantly, electricity costs of around one euro per smartphone charger per year arise.
Of course that doesn’t sound like much. However, if there are multiple charging cables connected to sockets in the apartment, the costs can add up.
Do not leave the charging cable plugged into the socket: there is a risk of fire
But in addition to electricity costs, which consumers want to keep down, especially during the energy crisis, there is also a physical danger. If the charging cable is defective, perhaps because it is older or because it is a cheap product with no name, it can overheat.
Then there is a serious risk of fire if the charging cable is constantly plugged into the socket. The longer the device is connected, the greater the risk of fire (more digital news in RUHR24).
The risk of fire and unnecessary electricity costs can be easily avoided: once the device in question is charged, the charger must be unplugged.
Heading list: © imago stock&people/Imago
Introvert. Beer guru. Communicator. Travel fanatic. Web advocate. Certified alcohol geek. Tv buff. Subtly charming internet aficionado.