As the title suggests, I am looking for a new laptop.
Currently using a ZenBook UX431 (14″ FHD, 10th Gen i7, 16GB, MX250 2GB), but would like more graphics performance and a better/larger screen with 60+Hz. For example, I had thought of a Lenovo Legion Pro. Dell G15 falls apart due to the PWM panel. The purchase is not urgent, so if great new devices come out in 1-2 months, I’ll be happy to wait.
I’m happy with every track!
1. What do you want to use your laptop for? Commercial or private use?
1.1. Do you want to use the laptop primarily mobile or stationary? How mobile should the laptop be? Should it be a 2-in-1 notebook/convertible?
- without 2 in 1
- I use mostly stationary, but the device gets me back and forth between work and home twice a week.
1.2. If you want to play games: what games? What level of detail?
- Diablo 3 High, WoT Medium, Enlisted Medium
- In general, the demands are not huge, but more than 60FPS is welcome.
1.3. Music/image/video editing or CAD: which software? Professional or hobbyist?
– Little Photoshop, but it works reasonably well on the current system.
2. How big should the screen be? Do you want a touch screen or a particularly high display quality?
- greater than 14 inches but not greater than 16 inches
- Do not touch
- as matte as possible
- 16:10 or even 3:2 would be fine
- Not sure about resolution due to game performance.
- flicker-free, also known as PWM
3. How long should the battery last?
– hardly matters
4. What operating system do you want to use? Is there a license? Does the laptop already have an operating system pre-installed? Do you get Windows through college?
– it doesn’t matter, install W10 Pro yourself
5. Do you have any wishes regarding design, processing quality, material or colour?
– no exaggerated “game” design
6. Are there any other special requirements that were not asked about? Big hard drive? numeric keyboard? keyboard backlight? pen holder? Docking via USB-C/Thunderbolt 3? CD/DVD drive? Discounts (educational)? Service and warranty? maintenance options? SD card reader?
- SD reader would be nice
- Illuminated keyboard is mandatory (one color is enough)
- LAN plug must be available
- Desirable 1TB SSD, but could also reap the current laptop’s
- as quiet as possible/inaudible in office use
7. How much money are you willing to spend? Is buying used an option?
- new devices only
- up to €1500, but with good equipment more if necessary
Introvert. Beer guru. Communicator. Travel fanatic. Web advocate. Certified alcohol geek. Tv buff. Subtly charming internet aficionado.