I adjusted some requirements:
1. What do you want to use your laptop for? Commercial or private use?
The laptop is used commercially for email, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, image or video editing.
I would also like to be able to play current games with it. I have to work but I also like to gamble and I wouldn’t want to use 2 different laptops.
1.1. Do you want to use the laptop primarily mobile or stationary? How mobile should the laptop be? Should it be a 2-in-1 notebook/convertible?
Stationary at home with a power supply, so I have full power when playing games or editing videos/pictures.
Also, I’d like to be able to plug the laptop into a USB-C docking station for emails or general office and charge it with throttled power.
1.2. If you want to play games: what games? What level of detail?
For example Lost Ark, Path of Exile, Civ 6. Mainly multiplayer, occasionally also Witcher or other open world RPGs. It’s important to me that everything looks as “beautiful” as possible and doesn’t move. I am already used to 120 Hz and I would not like to go back to 60.
1.3. Music/image/video editing or CAD: which software? Professional or hobbyist?
I am not a graphic artist. Design a logo here and there or cut videos with a simple freeware. I would call it a hobby, although it is commercial. I mainly prepare training courses with Powerpoint and manage data in Excel spreadsheets. From time to time I have to cut a promotional video or an instructional video.
2. How big should the screen be? Do you want a touch screen or a particularly high display quality?
17′, if necessary also 16′.
Do not touch
3. How long should the battery last?
Not so important, since it is almost always connected to electricity.
4. What operating system do you want to use? Is there a license? Does the laptop already have an operating system pre-installed? Do you get Windows through college?
I’m happy with Windows 10 and I have no experience with Windows 11. I wouldn’t mind if I had to organize the OS additionally or if it was already there. However, the extra unnecessary apps that are pre-installed on the pre-installed systems often annoy me. That’s why I’ve mostly worked without pre-installation in the past.
5. Do you have any wishes regarding design, processing quality, material or colour?
No matter the design, what counts is the content 😉
6. Are there any other special requirements that were not asked about? Big hard drive? numeric keyboard? keyboard backlight? pen holder? Docking via USB-C/Thunderbolt 3? CD/DVD drive? Discounts (educational)? Service and warranty? maintenance options? SD card reader?
SSD from 960GB
WDHQ resolution (I have displays to connect to in HD, WDHQ and 4k, but I’m used to WDHQ. HD isn’t “beautiful” enough anymore, 4k at 120Hz+ is hard)
Refresh rate from 120Hz
RAM from 32GB
SSD from 960GB
I would like to rule out the Intel 11er generation.
High enough maximum GPU power (150 W)
7. How much money are you willing to spend? Is buying used an option?
Comparable to the following suggestions:
Basically, I am not an expert, so it could also be that my criteria for the search are not effective at all. So if you should be looking for something else for the goals outlined above, then I’m very open to suggestions.
Thank you in advance for your support! 🙂
Introvert. Beer guru. Communicator. Travel fanatic. Web advocate. Certified alcohol geek. Tv buff. Subtly charming internet aficionado.