The Linux distribution based on Debian Testing Parrot OS It is specially designed for penetration testing and vulnerability assessment and therefore competes with the best Kali Linux 2021.1. The operating system sees itself as a forensic distribution and detects weak points in systems and networks.
Debian 11 for security researchers
All updates to the Debian Testing repositories, the upcoming Debian 11 (“Bullseye”), up to and including March 2021, have already been incorporated into the new version 4.11, including a new version of the desktop and the underlying Linux 5.10 system kernel. LTS. A change to Linux 5.11 is imminent.
The desktop and shell are based on the MATE desktop environment in the latest version 1.24.1, a fork of Gnome 2 that was created in 2011, and optionally KDE Plasma 5.20.5, which will also bring Debian 11.
In addition to the new Linux kernel and the latest Debian 11 (“Bullseye”) updates, Parrot OS 4.11 has received several updated software packages for its security and penetration tests. In addition, this time the completely redesigned Xfce 4.16 desktop is also supplied as an alternative.
New software packages
Not only has the operating system sandbox received a new review, the following forensic tools have also been reviewed according to the official. Release notes get an update:
- The Metasploit framework has been updated to 6.0.36 and we continue to update it on a weekly basis.
- Bettercap has finally been updated to 2.29, and 2.30 is coming very soon.
- Pompem was patched by the Parrot team to properly handle the services and use the new wpvulndb server.
- Routersploit has been updated to work with Python 3.9.
- Xspy was patched so that it is not executable on the host system.
- Fish and Zsh support is now available in our skel, including the latest version of zsh-autocomplete.
- Parrot now comes with Python 3.9. Python 2 is finally deprecated, and / usr / bin / python now points to / usr / bin / python3 by default.
- Parrot also includes Go 1.15 and Go 1.16 is coming very soon.
- The default version of Gcc is 10.2.1.
- We cannot report all updates made to our tools here. If you are interested in a particular package, please read its specific changelog in / usr / share / doc / packagename for more information.
Parrot OS 4.11 – Release Notes
With these and other packages, Parrot OS, such as Kali Linux and other forensic distributions, is particularly well suited for locating and removing vulnerabilities on individual servers, networks, and systems.
Security through anonymity in everyday life
In addition, the operating system also protects the real user by directing data traffic through the Tor network and thus through various servers to ensure maximum anonymity and data protection. The decentralized anonymization network can be used with the help of the console or the graphical user interface. Vidalia it can be configured.
In addition to the other special tools, all of which are aimed at the areas of penetration, anonymization, security and data protection, the operating system also has popular software such as the free office suite LibreOffice 7.1.1 (“Community”) and the current Firefox 87 on board.
System images for private and professional users
In addition to the 64-bit system image Parrot Home 4.11 (ISO) with MATE-Desktop and Parrot KDE Home 4.11 (ISO) With KDE Plasma, the developers of Parrot Security im Website download area Special versions are also available for security investigators and forensic scientists.