Due to new data protection regulations, many WhatsApp users are switching to the alternative signal. We show how beginners can quickly find their way around here.
Edward Snowden, Elon Musk, Jan Böhmermann, and the EU Commission all have one thing in common: they all recommend Messenger Signal, for security and privacy reasons. Whistleblower Snowden, in particular, explains this as follows: “I use it every day and I’m not dead yet.”
How to switch to Signal
- Signal is available for Android and iOS users. Click hereto download the android version and here the iOS version to download.
- Once started, you can give Messenger access to your contacts. This is necessary so that you can also write to your contacts. According to its own information, Signal does not know your contacts, unlike WhatsApp. Read what WhatsApp knows about its users here.
- To sign up, you also need a phone number that can receive text messages. You will then receive a code by SMS. Enter the code into Signal and your account is set up.
The signal started, now what?
When you first launch Signal, your contact list should be empty. Also, Signal should ask you to set up a PIN. Signal will ask you for your PIN from time to time. If that bothers you, you can disable it in the settings. It works like this:
- Click the three dots at the top right and in the dropdown menu, click “settings“
- To choose “privacy“
- Scroll down to the “signal PIN” and select the appropriate options.
to one write signal contactProceed as follows:
- Tap the pencil icon in the bottom right – Signal will now display a list of all your contacts who also use Messenger. However, if you have allowed Signal to manage your SMS/MMS, all contacts will appear in your address book.
- Click on the user you want to send a message to.
- A new chat menu will now open. Anyone who uses WhatsApp should quickly find their way here: you can also send emojis, stickers, and animated GIFs with Signal. Next to the input line you will find a camera icon to take and send photos with Signal. With a click on the microphone you can record a voice message.
- The difference with WhatsApp: with Signal you can decide if you want to send an encrypted message or an unencrypted SMS. To do this, press and hold the send button on the right (the icon with the paper plane) and select the desired option.
If you want, you can also profile picture adjusted to. It works like this:
- Open the “settings” and click on your name above.
- Here you can enter your username and select a profile picture by clicking the photo symbol above.
Invite others to Signal
If you want to invite more contacts to Signal, tap the three dots in the top right, then tap “to invite friends“.
You will now receive a default text and a link that “Pull apartA menu will now open where you can select contacts or another app, such as WhatsApp. If you then click the link, you will end up in the corresponding app store directly in the Signal app.
Introvert. Beer guru. Communicator. Travel fanatic. Web advocate. Certified alcohol geek. Tv buff. Subtly charming internet aficionado.