Friday, May 24, 2024

Charging the mobile overnight: is it really bad for the battery? – Technology


At the end of the day, the smartphone battery indicator is usually only a few percent. Plugging in your cell phone to charge it overnight is convenient, but it can also cause problems.

Connect the cell phone to the charger at night before going to sleep so you can start the day with a full battery the next morning: For many, charging the cell phone is part of the nightly routine; anyway, it is not used at night. and you usually don’t have to worry about it during the day, make a red battery indicator.

As practical and easy as it is for the mobile phone owner, this procedure can consume quite a bit of battery. Because: We usually sleep much longer than current smartphone models need to charge: As a general rule, batteries are fully charged after one to three hours. The rest of the time, the mobiles are still connected to the network, even though the charging process has been completed for a long time.

Battery level constantly fluctuates

When the battery is full, a charging circuit is activated: the already fully charged battery no longer receives power. But if the battery level drops below the 100 percent mark again in the next few hours, charging starts all over again: This usually happens several times during the night, and the smartphone battery repeatedly charges from 99 to 100 percent.

The problem with this: This last percentage in particular puts a particular strain on the phone’s battery and causes more wear and tear. While relatively small, overall battery performance will be degraded over time by this charging routine.

But one thing is also clear: even without charging the cell phone overnight, the battery capacity will automatically decrease over time. Because the lithium-ion batteries installed in most modern smartphones are subject to natural wear and tear, which depends on the charging processes that have already taken place.

Around 400 to 500 charge cycles are often spoken of; once this number is reached, the battery capacity is typically only 80 percent. But if you make sure you don’t expose your cell phone to constant battery drops and recharges overnight, you can help slow down the natural wear and tear process.

Protect special charging modes

Manufacturers are now also reacting and building protection mechanisms into their smartphones: devices from Apple, Google or OnePlus, for example, can activate a feature called “optimized charging”. The cell phone only charges up to a battery level of 80 percent and the remaining 20 percent only follows shortly before waking up. The mobile phone learns the approximate activation time over time through an algorithm or the user sets it manually.

If you don’t have this feature and still prefer to charge your phone overnight, you can use a charger with only five to 10 watts, for example. This means that charging takes much longer and the mobile phone’s battery fluctuates less frequently between 99 and 100 percent.

Another option is to turn off the cell phone at night. So the device hardly loses battery after charging and thus also avoids permanent recharging.

Ebenezer Robbins
Ebenezer Robbins
Introvert. Beer guru. Communicator. Travel fanatic. Web advocate. Certified alcohol geek. Tv buff. Subtly charming internet aficionado.

Share post:


More like this

How to Sell CS:GO Skins for Real Money

CS:GO skins have become not just an ordinary design...

Decoding The Diversity: A Guide To Different Types Of Horse Races

Horse racing reaches 585 million households worldwide, enjoying immense...

Maximizing Efficiency: How Our Cloud Services Revolutionized Operations for Small Businesses

Small businesses constantly seek innovative solutions to streamline operations...

Big Data for Musicians: The Game Changer!

In the dynamic realm of the music industry, Viberate...