macOS 11.3, now available in its final version, may not be as loaded with new features asiOS 14.5, but this new version of macOS Big Sur is no less worth it. Little description.
Beyond the usual set of fixes, macOS 11.3 brings several new features that enhance Safari, Notes, or Apple Music. Even the players are not forgotten! The final version of macOS 11.3 has the number 20E232, it is identical to the launch candidate since last week.
Safari: new customization options
Version 14 of Safari inaugurated a new home page whose wallpaper can be changed, giving the browser an air of an operating system. macOS 11.3 brings you a welcome little refinement: it’s now possible to rearrange the categories that appear on the home page.
A set of extensions should allow developers who want to design new categories. We haven’t seen anything like it yet and maybe Apple dropped the idea along the way, but we’ll be watching closely anyway.
Notes: Sorting and Printing Jobs
The Reminders app welcomes two new features that millions of crying users desperately await: sorting tasks and printing a to-do list. Everything is fine for those who know how to wait, all this is finally available with macOS 11.3.
Finally, support for HomePod stereo pairs
While the iPhone or iPad have no problem handling stereo pairs of HomePods, macOS has been deprived of them so far. True, it was always possible to go through iTunes or Music’s audio output settings to stream on two paired HomePods, but tintin at the system level. macOS 11.3 fixes this injustice. In fact, it has been possible to select a stereo pair in the control center.
Apple Music: Infinite Playback
Still on the subject of music, but this time for Apple Music, subscribers to the streaming service are now entitled to infinite reading, which is represented by a red badge with the infinity logo on the icon. Next, at the top right of the Music app. This feature adds tracks one after another to create an endless musical tape inspired by the tracks already in the playlist.
Safari: WebM support
Back to Safari, again with something that had been expected for a long time, so long that we thought Apple had zapped it. Like Chrome, Firefox, Opera or Edge, Apple’s browser can now display video content in WebM format.
Support for PS5 and Xbox Series X controllers
In addition to support for new controllers for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, macOS 11.3 makes life easier for Mac M1 users who enjoy mobile gaming. The Big Sur update emulates the controller controls for iOS games running on Mac. The keyboard and mouse or trackpad can reproduce the behavior of a controller, which will be found in the gaming preferences.
In addition, compatibility with the iOS application on the Mac M1 continues to improve with preferences for alternatives to taps and more obvious handling of notifications and Bluetooth access.
The battery is recharged before an appointment
Battery recharge management is refined in macOS 11.3 through an intelligent system that allows the system to recharge a laptop battery before entering an appointment in Calendar.
Clearer warranty information
Because not only iOS devices have the right to delete information about the status of their coverage, macOS 11.3 is updating the window Service panel About your Mac. Details of the warranty or, where applicable, AppleCare + can be found there. All with links to initiate repair or assistance.
macOS 11.3 – Release Notes
macOS Big Sur 11.3 adds support for AirTag, includes enhancements to iPhone and iPad apps for Mac with the Apple chip, and introduces skin color variations for Emoji with pairs.
AirTag and locate
- AirTag support to track and find your important items like keys, wallet, backpack and more, confidentially and securely in the Find My app
- The Find My network, which has hundreds of millions of devices, can help you find your AirTag, even if you are not nearby
- Lost mode notifies you when your AirTag is found and you can enter a phone number to be contacted
Apps for iPhone and iPad on Mac with the Apple chip
- Option to resize the window of an iPhone and iPad application
- Support for displaying the best possible resolution version of an iPhone or iPad application in full screen
- IPhone and iPad gaming keyboard stand designed to use device tilt
- Keyboard, mouse and trackpad support for iPhone and iPad games compatible with gamepads
- Support for different skin colors for each person in all variations of the Kissing Couple Emoji and the Heart Couple Emoji
- New Face Emoji, Heart Emoji, Bearded Woman Emoji
- AutoPlay makes music play continuously, automatically starting a similar song when it reaches the end of a song or playlist
- City rankings show what’s popular in more than 100 cities around the world.
- The podcast pages have been redesigned to make it easier to start listening.
- Option to save and download episodes, automatically adding them to your library for quick access
- Download behavior and notification settings can be customized for each podcast
- Popular search rankings and categories help you discover new podcasts
- The order of the home page sections can now be customized
- Additional WebExtensions APIs allow developers to offer extensions that replace the new tab page
- Web Speech API enables developers to incorporate speech recognition into their web pages for captions, dictation, and real-time speech navigation.
- Support for WebM and Vorbis audio and video formats
- Ability to sort the smart list today
- Support to sync the order of reminders in lists across all your devices
- Ability to print your reminder lists
- Xbox Series X Wireless Controller Support | S and Sony PS5 DualSense ™
Mac with Apple chip
- Hibernation management
About this Mac
- About This Mac displays the status of Apple’s warranty and AppleCare + coverage in the Service tab when you sign in with your Apple ID
- AppleCare + Purchase and Subscription Support for Eligible Macs from About This Mac
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Reminders created through Siri can be unintentionally set for the early hours of the day
- ICloud Keychain may not turn off
- AirPods return audio to the wrong device after a phone call
- Auto Switch AirPods notifications may be missing or duplicate
- External 4K monitors may not display full resolution when connected via USB-C
- The login window may not display correctly after restarting Mac mini (M1, 2020)
- The hold function may not work on the accessibility keyboard
Some features may not be available in all regions or on all Apple devices and require an Apple ID. For more information on this update, visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211896 For more information on the security content of Apple software updates, visit the following page: https: // support .apple.com / kb / HT201222
Introvert. Beer guru. Communicator. Travel fanatic. Web advocate. Certified alcohol geek. Tv buff. Subtly charming internet aficionado.