Alienware has announced two new gaming laptops that come with displays said to offer 480Hz refresh rates. Read more about the device features below.
For years, the manufacturer Alienware, which belongs to Dell, did without AMD processors. The tide has now turned. With the new Alienware m17 R5 gaming laptop, customers can choose between a Ryzen 7 6800H or a Ryzen 9 6900HX. Alternatively, there is the x17 R2 with the Intel Core i7-12700H or Intel Core i9-12900HK processors. Both 17-inch gaming laptops share the new optional Full HD display with 480Hz refresh rate. In particular, first-person shooter gamers benefit as annoying ghosting is reduced. The screens used are possibly TN panels from AU Optronics.
This is what Alienware m17 R5 and x17 R2 offer
Alienware positions the m17 R5 as an AMD-powered gaming laptop, so customers can choose whether they prefer to have an AMD Radeon or Nvidia Geforce GPU installed. Alternatively, there is also the Alienware x17 R2 with Intel processors. According to the manufacturer, they are particularly proud of the more developed cooling. It is noted that the x17 R2 is flatter, but in return it saves on connections and dispenses with a LAN connection.
- Alienware m17 R5:
- screen: 17.3 inches, Full HD or Ultra HD resolution; Refresh rate: in connection with Full HD 165 Hz or 360 Hz (depending on equipment), in connection with UHD 120 Hz, in connection with Full HD without Advanced Optimus: 480 Hz
- processor: Ryzen 7 6800H or Ryzen 9 6900HX
- graphic: Radeon RX 6700M with 10 GiB memory and 135W maximum or Radeon RX 6850M XT with 12 GiB memory and 175W maximum; Geforce RTX 3050 Ti with TGP 95 W and 1695 MHz maximum, RTX 3060 with TGP 140 W and 1702 MHz maximum, RTX 3070 Ti with TGP 150 W and 1410 MHz maximum or RTX 3080 Ti with TGP 155 W with 1410 MHz maximum megahertz
- Storage: Maximum two NVMe SSDs with 2TB of storage space each, entry configuration with one NVMe SSD with 256GB.
- RAM.: 8 GiB DDR5-4800; 64 GiB maximum dual channel DDR5-4800
- connections: 1 LAN Port, 1 3.5mm Jack, 2 USB Type-A 3.2 Gen 1, 1 USB Type-A 3.2 Gen 1 with Power Share, 1 Power Supply Connector, 1 USB Type-C 3.2 Gen 2, Power Supply 15 W power and Displayport function, 1x HDMI 2.1
- battery pack: 64Wh or 97Wh
- weight and measurements: 3.3kg; 298 x 397 x 26.7mm (L x W x H)
- Alienware x17 R2:
- screen: 17.3 inches, Full HD or Ultra HD resolution; Refresh rate: in connection with Full-HD 165 Hz or 360 Hz (depending on equipment), with UHD 120 Hz, with Full-HD without Advanced Optimus: 480 Hz
- processor: Core i7-12700H or Core i9-12900HK
- graphic: Geforce RTX 3060 with TGP of 140 W and 1702 MHz maximum
- Storage– Maximum two NVMe SSDs with 2TB of storage space each, entry configuration with one NVMe SSD with 512GB
- RAM.: Dual channel 16 or 32 GiB DDR5-4800
- connections: 1x 3.5mm jack connector, 1x USB Type-A 3.2 Gen 1 with Power Share, 1x power supply connector, 1x USB Type-C 3.2 Gen 2, 15 W Power Delivery and Displayport function, 1x HDMI 2.1, 1x MicroSD card reader, 1x Thunderbolt 4 with USB-C
- battery pack:87w
- weight and measurements: According to equipment between 2.9 and 3.09 kg; 299 x 399 x 20.9mm (L x W x H)
The Alienware m17 R5 with a 480 Hz display costs at least around 2,500 euros and can be ordered now. If you prefer the Alienware x17 R2 with Intel CPU, you pay for the PC version with 480 Hz display at least 2,650 euros.
Also worth reading: Nvidia Reflex: Latency reduction in games like Fortnite – Latency analyzer for 360 Hz displays
Collection for the new Alienware m17 R5 and x17 R2:
- Alienware has released two new gaming laptops, the m17 R5 and x17 R2. Both notebooks are optionally available with a Full HD display with 480 Hz.
- The Alienware m17 R5 with a 480 Hz screen costs at least around 2,500 euros and is powered by AMD processors.
- The Alienware x17 R2 with Intel CPU and 480 Hz display is available from 2,650 euros.
Introvert. Beer guru. Communicator. Travel fanatic. Web advocate. Certified alcohol geek. Tv buff. Subtly charming internet aficionado.