KRAFTON, Inc, the developer of PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS, has officially announced that the latest map, Deston, will be released on July 13. Players have already gotten a glimpse of the partially flooded futuristic megacity map through Developer Letters and Ceative Assets, but now they can take an in-depth look at Deston.
Dave Curd (Creative Director of PUBG Studios) and Michael Gilardi (Head of PUBG Worldwide Development Unit in Madison) revealed numerous details about the map and new game mechanics during a Dev Talk event streamed on June 25. Below is an overview of Deston and all the new features shown during the Dev Chat.
New PUBG Map: Deston
The 8×8 map was designed with Haven’s feedback in mind to ensure the look, feel, and mechanics fit PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS. Deston is the biggest, tallest, and most densely built map the game has ever seen.
During a match in Deston, players will experience dense urban environments with newly designed tall buildings, mountainous landscapes, meadows and swamps. The map aims to find the middle ground between fun gameplay and immersion on a realistic playing field. Deston will challenge players to learn each biome on the map to understand how to use different equipment, vehicles, and cover to win Chicken Dinner. A detailed look at Deston’s new biomes can be found below.
- The swamp – In the northern part of the map, the first swamp became PUBG: BATTLE GROUNDS created. This area is a unique environment filled with new experiences for players. The narrow and lush mangrove forest requires a lot of melee battles.
- Center planes – Centerplanes offer the traditional experience that gamers have come to know and love. Similar to Erangel and Taego, this area offers a good balance of cover, scenery, and points of interest (POIs) for players to explore. The POI “Lodge” is located in the center planes and is the largest building ever built in the game. Players can land at the lodge and witness some hunters become the hunted.
- concert district – Partygoers will enjoy the Concert District, where players will see a giant chicken balloon floating in the air. The paintball arena also offers opportunities for short, medium and long distance battles. Players should familiarize themselves with this POI as it may be included in Team Deathmatch mode in the future.
- western highlands – Snipers will enjoy the West Highlands area, which will test players’ sniper and sniper rifle skills. With minimal planting and a wide field of view, unsuspecting players can find themselves right in the crosshairs. The rolling hills and dry, rocky atmosphere of the deserted coastal island offer more cover and hiding places.
New features and movement mechanics.
- ascent rope – With the appearance of Deston, there will also be a completely new movement mechanic. PUBG: BATTLE GROUNDS inserted. The Ascension Rope is a motorized pulley system attached to the walls of certain buildings, including special cell towers. This new mechanic will allow players to seamlessly move from the ground to the top of a building and vice versa. Also, players do not need to carry any special items to use ascension ropes. The speed can be adjusted with the sprint button.
- B.how to skydive – It makes no sense to create the tallest buildings ever seen in PUBG: BATTLE GROUNDS given if you can’t jump from them. That’s why the always-on base jump parachute was created to allow players to jump from the heights of Deston without fear. The base jump parachute is a default item in players’ inventories and is always on. The parachute also saves players who got stuck on the map when jumping from the early end of the game. Also, at special cell towers equipped with ascension ropes, players can combine the ascension rope with the emergency parachute to catapult themselves across the map.
- gas stations – Deston will have working gas stations where players can refuel their vehicles as they navigate the map.
But beware, because when shot at, gas stations can be pulverized in a spectacular Michael Bay explosion.
New Tactical Equipment: Blue Chip Detector
The Blue Chip Detector is the newest tactical gear item to come with Deston! The Blue Chip Detector is a melee version of the Spotting Scope that allows players to track the location of enemies within a certain radius. However, due to the detection delay, the Blue Chip Detector does not display the positions of other players in real time, and when used in neighborhoods, it does not display the exact vertical position.
The main game of PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS remains a priority and feedback on the new tactical gear will be closely monitored as players get their hands on it.
Like all maps, Deston comes with two new and exclusive weapons. The Origin 12 is a shotgun with superior accuracy and range, making it more efficient in all areas of the map. The MP9 is a powerful new SMG that specializes in close combat.
Designed to offer players a wide variety of gaming experiences, Deston will be playable in PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS on July 13.
Introvert. Beer guru. Communicator. Travel fanatic. Web advocate. Certified alcohol geek. Tv buff. Subtly charming internet aficionado.